[bitcoin-dev] Drivechain -- Request for Discussion

Paul Sztorc truthcoin at gmail.com
Mon May 22 16:19:14 UTC 2017

On May 22, 2017 10:39 AM, "ZmnSCPxj" <ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com> wrote:

Good morning Paul,

I read only http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/blind-merged-mining/

>From just this document, I can't see a good justification for believing
that a main->side locking transaction can be safely spent into a side->main
unlocking transaction.  Do you have a better explanation?

Yes, a better explanation is in the drivechain spec, at:
http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/drivechain/

What you read is only an introduction of BMM. You may also consult the
notes (at the bottom of the BMM post) or the code, although this is time
consuming of course.

If I attempt to spend a main->side locking transaction on the basis of a
"mistaken" side block #49, what prevents me from this sequence:

The literal answer to your question is that mainchain Bitcoin will notice
that, for the second withdrawal, the sum of the inputs is less than the sum
of the outputs and they the transaction is therefore invalid.

1.  Put a side:side->main transaction into a block together with TheDAO's
hacked money.

So far, the only good side->main transfer I know of is in Blockstream's
original sidechains paper, with the main:side->main transaction ... Is your
proposal at the technical level actually similar, or does it truly seem to
be riskier?

I feel that my proposal is more secure, as it can operate healthily and
quickly while using spv proofs which are much slower and much much easier
to audit.

seems to me that your OP_is_h_in_coinbase should scan a series of sidechain
block headers backed by mainchain (meaning at the minimum that sidechains
should have some common header format prefix), rather than just mainchain
depth as your article seems to imply.

How would security be improved as a result? In either case, 51% of hashrate
can cause a reorg. The sidechain software itself does scan block headers,
of course.

Blind merged mining seems strictly inferior ... a rich attacker can simply
reorg the sidechain outright without playing such games.

In the future, when there is no block subsidy, a rich attacker can also do
that in mainchain Bitcoin.

Or is your proposal strictly for centralized sidechains, where only one
entity creates side blocks?

Not at all.

How does your proposal handle multiple side block creators on the same
sidechain, with the possibility that chain splits occur?

The side block is only "mined" if it is committed to in a mainchain Bitcoin
blog, and each mainchain block can only contain one block per sidechain. In
this way, drivechain sidechains are different from classical Namecoin
merged mining (where one _could_ run the entire system, mining included,
without interfacing with Bitcoin at all).

Regarding your dig about people who dislike data centers, the main issue
with miners blindly accepting sidechain commitments is that it violates
"Don't trust, verify", not that allows datacenters to be slightly smaller
by not including side:nodes.

As I explain early on, in earlier rounds of peer review, the focus was on
harms the sidechain technology might do to mainchain Bitcoin, and the
"datacenter point" was specifically the chief objection raised. So I am
afraid you are entirely incorrect.

In point of fact, the transactions *are* validated...by sidechain full
nodes, same as Bitcoin proper.

Paul

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj