[bitcoin-dev] Hypothetical 2 MB hardfork to follow BIP148

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Tue May 30 21:24:20 UTC 2017

The 1MB classic block size is not redundant after segwit activation.
Segwit prevents the quadratic hashing problems, but only for segwit
outputs. The 1MB classic block size prevents quadratic hashing
problems from being any worse than they are today.

Mark

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Jorge Timón via bitcoin-dev
> [...]
>> growth, of which bandwidth seems the most constraining.
>>
>> - Erik
>>

>> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Luke Dashjr via bitcoin-dev
>> <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> In light of some recent discussions, I wrote up this BIP for a real 2 MB
>>> block
>>> size hardfork following Segwit BIP148 activation. This is not part of any
>>> agreement I am party to, nor anything of that sort. Just something to
>>> throw
>>> out there as a possible (and realistic) option.
>>>
>>> Note that I cannot recommend this to be adopted, since frankly 1 MB blocks
>>> really are still too large, and this blunt-style hardfork quite risky even
>>> with consensus. But if the community wishes to adopt (by unanimous
>>> consensus)
>>> a 2 MB block size hardfork, this is probably the best way to do it right
>>> now.
>>> The only possible way to improve on this IMO would be to integrate it into
>>> MMHF/"spoonnet" style hardfork (and/or add other unrelated-to-block-size
>>> HF
>>> improvements).
>>>
>>> I have left Author blank, as I do not intend to personally champion this.
>>> Before it may be assigned a BIP number, someone else will need to step up
>>> take on that role. Motivation and Rationale are blank because I do not
>>> personally think there is any legitimate rationale for such a hardfork at
>>> this
>>> time; if someone adopts this BIP, they should complete these sections. (I
>>> can
>>> push a git branch with the BIP text if someone wants to fork it.)
>>>
>>> <pre>
>>> BIP: ?
>>> Layer: Consensus (hard fork)
>>> Title: Post-segwit 2 MB block size hardfork
>>> Author: FIXME
>>> Comments-Summary: No comments yet.
>>> Comments-URI: ?
>>> Type: Standards Track
>>> Created: 2017-05-22
>>> License: BSD-2-Clause
>>> </pre>
>>>
>>> ==Abstract==
>>>
>>> Legacy Bitcoin transactions are given the witness discount, and a block
>>> size
>>> limit of 2 MB is imposed.
>>>
>>> ==Copyright==
>>>
>>> This BIP is licensed under the BSD 2-clause license.
>>>
>>> ==Specification==
>>>
>>> Upon activation, a block size limit of 2000000 bytes is enforced.
>>> The block weight limit remains at 4000000 WU.
>>>
>>> The calculation of block weight is modified:
>>> all witness data, including both scriptSig (used by pre-segwit inputs) and
>>> segwit witness data, is measured as 1 weight-unit (WU), while all other
>>> data
>>> in the block is measured as 4 WU.
>>>
>>> The witness commitment in the generation transaction is no longer
>>> required,
>>> and instead the txid merkle root in the block header is replaced with a

>>> 2. The witness merkle root hash.