[bitcoin-dev] Merkle branch verification & tail-call semantics for generalized MAST

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Wed Nov 1 15:08:46 UTC 2017

Yes, if you use a witness script version you can save about 40 witness bytes by templating the MBV script, which I think is equivalent to what you are suggesting. 32 bytes from the saved hash, plus another 8 bytes or so from script templates and more efficient serialization.

I believe the conservatively correct approach is to do this in stages, however. First roll out MBV and tail call to witness v0. Then once there is experience with people using it in production, design and deploy a hashing template for script v1. It might be that we learn more and think of something better in the meantime.