[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Cash's new difficulty algorithm

Jacob Eliosoff jacob.eliosoff at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 03:37:06 UTC 2017

I'm no BCH fan, but I agree with Scott that changes to the DAA may be of
more than purely theoretical interest for BTC.  Anyway just for those
interested, below is an algo I've been playing with that adjusts difficulty
every block, based only on the previous block's time and difficulty.  I
tested it a bit and it seems to adapt to hashrate swings pretty well.

weight_n = 1 - e^-(blocktime_n / 1 hr)    # 1 hr = exp moving avg window -
too short?
adj_n = (10 min / blocktime_n) - 1
difficulty_(n+1) = difficulty_n * (1 + weight_n * adj_n)

It could also be tweaked to make the *historical* avg block time ~exactly
10 minutes, ie, to target > 10 min if past blocks were < 10 min.  This
would, eg, make mapping future block numbers to calendar times much more
exact.

On Nov 3, 2017 7:24 AM, "Scott Roberts via bitcoin-dev" <