[bitcoin-dev] Introducing a POW through a soft-fork

Devrandom c1.bitcoin at niftybox.net
Tue Nov 7 04:38:51 UTC 2017

A hard-fork is a situation where non-upgraded nodes reject a block mined
and relayed by upgraded nodes.  This creates a fork that cannot heal
regardless of what follows.

This proposal is not a hard-fork, because the non-upgraded node *will heal*
if the attack has less than 1/2 of the original-POW power in the long term.

The cost of such an attack is the cost of a normal "51%" attack, multiplied
by the fractional weight of the original POW (e.g. 0.75 or 0.5).

So rather than saying this is a hard-fork, I would say that this is a
soft-fork with reduced security for non-upgraded nodes. I would also say
that the reduction in security is proportional to the reduction in weight
of the original POW at the time of attack.

As mentioned before, the original-POW weight starts at 1.0 and is reduced
over a long period of time.  I would set up the transition curve so that
all nodes upgrade by the time the weight is, say, 0.75.  In reality, nodes
protecting high economic value would upgrade early.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Eric Voskuil via bitcoin-dev <