[bitcoin-dev] BIP159 - NODE_NETWORK_LIMITED service bits, extendability

Jonas Schnelli dev at jonasschnelli.ch
Tue Nov 21 19:00:21 UTC 2017

Hi Sjors

Thanks for picking this up.

There where some previous discussions about this [1] [2].
Initially, the idea was to have two service bits to signal (up to three) states.
But, since it is not clear what use-cases the bits signalling >288 blocks would fulfil, I have limited BIP159 to a single 288blocks-available signalling.

Therefore, BIP159 aims to improve the block relay state around the tip (24h) which seems to be the most significant request peak (peers out of IBD).
Also, it takes an acceptable transition for pruned node operators into account. Once BIP159 gets active on the network, pruned peer operators may see an increase in CPU and bandwidth usage.

SPV peers may also connect to BIP159 nodes, scan the mempool and wait for unconfirmed transactions (they don’t do this now because pruned nodes don't signal any service).

Future extensions are possible. Maybe a p2p command that could tell more infos about the pruning state would be useful.

BIP159 also recommends to fix the fingerprinting weakness by fix limiting it to 288 blocks, making it impossible for an attacker to fingerprint your peer by scanning how deep the peer can serve blocks. This may be a reduction for possible use cases with todays pruned peers and an idea would be to relax this limit for whitelisted peers (or peers connecting via BIP150 [not implemented], and this is the only connection between BIP150 and BIP159).

However, I think the scope of BIP159 should be kept as it is. More flexibility can be added later when we have gathered more information during BIP159 deployment.
Also, the implementations is an advanced stage [3][4]

—
</jonas>

[1] https://botbot.me/freenode/bitcoin-core-dev/2017-04-27/?msg=84827228&page=3
[2] https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2017-May/thread.html#14314