[bitcoin-dev] pubkey or not pubkey?

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 15:13:04 UTC 2017

I released https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-transactions

As you can see the restart of this project (started one year ago) was
motivated by the epic launch of bitcoin gold and many people still
desperately trying to sync, not understanding there was no need to
'transfer' their bitcoins to btg, getting robbed, etc, but there is more
some long term intent

This is somewhere bitcoin-cli outside of bitcoin-qt with a non
synced/outside wallet (where https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-wallets can
be used), not only for btg but for any network based on bitcoin

While implementing BIP143 I noticed during the tests/doublechecks with
cli that scriptSig was <signature>< pubkey>

This was not the case one year ago, scriptSig was <signature> since you
can get the <pubkey> from the signature, that's what I did thinking of
some lack of optimization in the bgold client, but this behavior is very
the same for bitcoin core

Then my first transactions did not include the pubkey and I was
immediately banned by my own node (who btw did not realize that it was
banning itself...), I got a reject message stating that OP_EQUALVERIFY
failed

So, the questions are: for basic p2pkh transactions why is pubkey back,
since when and why txs without it are rejected?

At this time where everything is made to reduce the tx's size while the
fees/byte are quite high, this adds 34 useless bytes in each input

--
Bitcoin transactions made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/bitcoin-transactions
Zcash wallets made simple: https://github.com/Ayms/zcash-wallets