[bitcoin-dev] Merkle branch verification & tail-call semantics for generalized MAST

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Sat Oct 28 04:40:01 UTC 2017

I have completed updating the three BIPs with all the feedback that I have received so far. In short summary, here is an incomplete list of the changes that were made:

* Modified the hashing function fast-SHA256 so that an internal node cannot be interpreted simultaneously as a leaf.
* Changed MERKLEBRANCHVERIFY to verify a configurable number of elements from the tree, instead of just one.
* Changed MERKLEBRANCHVERIFY to have two modes: one where the inputs are assumed to be hashes, and one where they are run through double-SHA256 first.
* Made tail-call eval compatible with BIP141’s CLEANSTACK consensus rule by allowing parameters to be passed on the alt-stack.
* Restricted tail-call eval to segwit scripts only, so that checking sigop and opcode limits of the policy script would not be necessary.

There were a bunch of other small modifications, typo fixes, and optimizations that were made as well.

I am now ready to submit these BIPs as a PR against the bitcoin/bips repo, and I request that the BIP editor assign numbers.

Thank you,
Mark Friedenbach