[bitcoin-dev] Visually Differentiable - Bitcoin Addresses

shiva sitamraju shiva at blockonomics.co
Mon Oct 30 13:13:56 UTC 2017

For example bc1qeklep85ntjz4605drds6aww9u0qr46qzrv5xswd35uhjuj8ahfcqgf6hak
in 461e8a4aa0a0e75c06602c505bd7aa06e7116ba5cd98fd6e046e8cbeb00379d6 is 62
bytes ! This is very very long. This will create lot of usability problems
in

- Blockexplorers (atleast user should be visually able to compare in a
transaction having multiple outputs which one his address)
- Mobiles
- Payment terminals

>From my limited understanding, the purpose of inventing a bitcoin address
format is for usability and ease of identification (versus a ECDSA public
key), While I get the error/checksum capabilities Bech32 brings, any user
would prefer a 20 byte address with a checksum  over an address that would
wrap several lines !!