[bitcoin-dev] P2WPKH Scripts, P2PKH Addresses, and Uncompressed Public Keys

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Mon Sep 4 13:51:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 08:55:47PM +0000, Alex Nagy via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Thanks Gregory - to be clear should Native P2WPKH scripts only appear in redeem scripts?  From reading the various BIPs it had seemed like Native P2WPKH and Native P2WSH were also valid and identifiable if they were encoded in TxOuts.  The theoretical use case for this would be saving bytes in Txes with many outputs.

It's not a theoretical use-case: the two OpenTimestamps calendar servers I run
- {alice,bob}.btc.calendar.opentimestamps.org - use native P2WPKH segwit
outputs to keep transaction size to the absolute minimum possible; previously
they used bare CHECKSIG <pubkey> output scripts for the same reason.

I enabled support for it the moment segwit activated, so I'm probably the first
ever production user of P2WPKH on mainnet, and quite possibly, the first person
to create P2WPKH outputs on mainnet for any reason.