[bitcoin-dev] Proposal: Extended serialization format for BIP-32 wallets

Kabuto Samourai kabuto at samouraiwallet.com
Thu Sep 7 03:52:57 UTC 2017

Thanks for the proposal. Aside from potential privacy implications of
revealing the derivation path for non BIP-44, 45, 49 HD nodes, this scheme
is superior to the alternate {x,y,z}pub idea. Since coin_type is part of
the path, the 'xpub' prefix may be shared across all coins if they so
choose. This format provides lock-in for BIP-49 going forward and opens the
door for a parallel native-SegWit BIP.

The birthday field is interesting. Could you provide some motivation for
its inclusion?

Could you also add some test vectors?

There are a few minor grammar / spelling errors, but we can nitpick those
after this goes to the pull request stage on bitcoin/bips.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Pavol Rusnak via bitcoin-dev <

> The discussion about changing bip32 version bytes for SegWit got me
> thinking and I ended up with what I think is the best proposal:
>
> https://github.com/satoshilabs/slips/blob/master/slip-0032.md
>
> (It is hosted in SL repo for now, but if there is will, I would love to
> have this added to BIP repo as an extension to BIP32)
>
> Feel free to comment.
>
> --
> Best Regards / S pozdravom,
>
> Pavol "stick" Rusnak
> CTO, SatoshiLabs

-Kabuto

PGP Fingerprint: 1A83 4A96 EDE7 E286 2C5A  B065 320F B934 A79B 6A99