[bitcoin-dev] SF proposal: prohibit unspendable outputs with amount=0

Tier Nolan tier.nolan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 10:31:41 UTC 2017

You could have a timelocked transaction that has a zero value input (and
other non-zero inputs).  If the SF happened, that transaction would become
unspendable.

The keys to the outputs may be lost or the co-signer may refuse to
cooperate.

There seems to be some objections to long term timelocked transactions.

If someone asked me about it, I would recommend that any timelocked
transactions should very carefully make sure that they use forms that are
popular.

I think the fairest rule would be that any change which makes some
transactions invalid should be opt-in and only apply to new transaction
version numbers.

If you create a timelocked transactions with an undefined version number,
then you have little to complain about.

If the version number is defined and in-use, then transactions should not
suddenly lose validity.

A refusal to commit to that makes long term locktime use much more risky.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:54 AM, CryptAxe via bitcoin-dev <