[bitcoin-dev] Responsible disclosure of bugs

Sergio Demian Lerner sergio.d.lerner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 04:49:34 UTC 2017

Historically people have published vulnerabilities in Bitcoin only after
>80% of the nodes have upgraded. This seems to be the general (but not
publicly stated) policy. If you're a core developer and you know better,
please correct me.

This means that:

- a critical vulnerability, like a remote code execution, will be patched
immediately (without disclosing the actual problem) and all participants
will be notified asap. This is no different from any other open source
project. An example of this case was the OpenSSL Heartbleed vulnerability
that affected Bitcoin.

- a non-critical vulnerability, either because miners only can exploit it
or because it requires vast resources to pull, may require a wait of years
before publication, after a vulnerability was found and reported. This is
because the "natural" node upgrade rate is slow.

It also implies that some times a researcher works hard to investigate a
vulnerability and later he finds out it was previously reported. It also
means that the researcher cannot report to alt-coins which have a different
policy.

This policy has nothing to do with a loyalty to Bitcoin Core (or in fact,
the two or so developers that actually receive the e-mails to
security at bitcoincore.org).

This is a policy that has simply proven to work to protect Bitcoiners. It
began long long ago.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:37 AM, Anthony Towns via bitcoin-dev <