[bitcoin-dev] Responsible disclosure of bugs

Sergio Demian Lerner sergio.d.lerner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 19:53:46 UTC 2017

The policy seems good with the exception of this paragraph:

* Bitcoin devs will disclose vulnerabilities publically after 99% of the
   bitcoin network has upgraded [7], and fixes have been released for
   at least 12 months.

99% upgrade may never be reached. Some nodes cannot even be categorized. I
suggest a number close to 95%.
If the 95% of network has upgraded, it means we're pretty secure from the
point of view of consensus. It is supposed that from the time the fix has
been released, all other alt-coins will also have released their fixes.
Remember we must also incentivize security researchers to do the hard and
silent research work. Most of them do not hold Bitcoins. They do research
because of other interests, including getting public acknowledgment for
their findings. They'll be frustrated if they have to wait 2 years.

I propose this paragraph to replace the previous one:

* Bitcoin devs will disclose vulnerabilities publically after 95% of the
   bitcoin network has upgraded [7], and fixes have been released for
   at least 6 months.

Also I suggest we track vulnerabilities with standard CVE codes. IS there
any drawback of this?

regards

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 11:00 PM, Nathan Wilcox via bitcoin-dev <