[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin Assistance

Tim Ruffing tim.ruffing at mmci.uni-saarland.de
Wed Sep 27 21:54:09 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-09-27 at 17:20 -0400, Cory Fields via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> > Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0
>
> I didn't manage to find any CC-licensed files. The match probably
> comes from our gui svg icons, which contain an xml tag with a link to
> creativecommons.org. This seems to be the default behavior of
> inkscape, which was used to create those icons. Any icons that we
> have not created ourselves are listed in contrib/debian/copyright
> (they're all expat/public domain).

This is somewhat weird. Back in 2014, most of icons were listed as
"CC BY-SA" (which is the correct license according to the original
source):
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/31aac02446472ec5bfc4676ab190ec9d37056503/doc/assets-attribution.md

However the current docs list them as "Expat". A mistake?
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/contrib/debian/copyright

Also, even the old version lists some icons "based on Stephan Hutchings
Typicons" as "License: MIT", which could be a violation of CC BY-SA if
I'm not mistaken.

Best,
Tim