[bitcoin-dev] Address expiration times should be added to BIP-173

Mark Friedenbach mark at friedenbach.org
Wed Sep 27 21:09:16 UTC 2017

First, there’s been no discussion so far for address expiration to be part of “the protocol” which usually means consensus rules or p2p. This is purely about wallets and wallet information exchange protocols.

There’s no way for the sender to know whether an address has been used without a complete copy of the block chain and more indexes than even Bitcoin Core maintains. It’s simply not an option now, let alone as the blockchain grows into the future.