[bitcoin-dev] Why the BIP-72 Payment Protocol URI Standard is Insecure Against MITM Attacks

Omar Shibli omarshib at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 04:21:09 UTC 2017

Thank you for sharing, this is indefinitely valuable.

I think that risk could be mitigated if instead of ignoring the bitcoin
address/amount/..., the wallet use this address for integrity checks.
Furthermore, I think this BIP could be improved by actually applying the
homomorphic property and deriving the bitcoin address from merchant pub key
and the hash itself. that would allow both the customer and merchant to be
able generate address independently.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev <