[bitcoin-dev] Address expiration times should be added to BIP-173

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Fri Sep 29 13:52:03 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 02:45:32PM +0200, Andreas Schildbach via bitcoin-dev wrote:

> >> Hasn't caught on? It is used for virtually all merchant transactions,
> >> plus person to person transactions between Bitcoin Wallet users.
> >
> > "Virtually all"?
> >
> > I regularly pay with Bitcoin, and I haven't seen the payment protocol used in
> > ages.
>
> I regularly pay with Bitcoin, and I haven't seen the payment protocol
> not being in use in ages.
>
> > Can you name some users of it?
>
> 15+ Mio Coinbase users

Lol, interesting mistake I made w/ Coinbase: my mobile wallets are all setup in
ways that don't support the payment protocol w/ Coinbase, probably because come
to think of it they were (still are?) rejecting payment protocol requests over
proxies and Tor. And on my desktop setups payment protocol URLs don't work for
various reasons, and I'd forgotten I'd manually disabled them ages ago.

Just checked and Bitfinex, BTCC, and Shapeshift all don't seem to use the
payment protocol.

Other than BitPay and Coinbase, do you have an example of a service supporting
the payment protocol?

> ~10 Mio BitPay users
> 8 Mio Bitcoin Wallet users
> Plus Bitcoin Core, Electrum, etc (sorry no numbers)
>
> Probably the only usecase for naked addresses is paper wallets, right?
> I'm not sure if paper wallets can expire.

User-to-user payments pretty much always use naked addresses.