[bitcoin-dev] Few questions regarding ListTransaction

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:48:39 UTC 2018

Good morning Karl-Johan Alm,

To clarify:

Nothing prevents a miner from completely ignoring nSequence when putting transactions in blocks.

Unconfirmed transactions are, by definition, not recorded in blocks.  So if there is a transaction 0xFFFFFFF nSequence and fee 1000 satoshi, and another conflicting transaction 0xFFFFFFF nSequence and fee 100000000 satoshi, miners can include the latter one even if the first one came to their knowledge first, regardless nSequence.

Thus, in the end "full replace-by-fee", where nSequence is IGNORED for purposes of replace-by-fee, is expected to become the norm, and we should really be designing our wallets and so on so that we only trust transactions that have confirmations.

The "nSequence=0xFFFFFFFF means opt-OUT of RBF" convention is only followed by fullnodes running standard bitcoind.  Nothing prevents miners from running patched bitcoind that ignores this rule, and connecting with similar peers who also ignore this rule.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​