[bitcoin-dev] Claiming an OP_RETURN Prefix

Lautaro Dragan lautarodragan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 21:11:26 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

My name's Lautaro and I'm currently acting as Tech Lead of Po.et
<https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/OP_RETURN#OP_RETURN_prefixes>. At Po.et we use
colored coins
<https://github.com/poetapp/node/blob/3c905bc5dbd3722ad39ac68041d9f2a099e5e84c/src/BlockchainWriter/ClaimController.ts#L101-L110>
store data on the Bitcoin blockchain with prefix "POET".

I've read in an old version of the OP_RETURN entry of the bitcoin wiki
<https://en.bitcoin.it/w/index.php?title=OP_RETURN&oldid=62560> that *protocols
wishing to claim OP_RETURN prefixes should use the standard Bitcoin
Improvement Proposals process*.

That entry seems to have changed recently
<https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/OP_RETURN#OP_RETURN_prefixes>, no longer
stating that we should follow the BIP process, and I haven't been able to
find any existing BIP claiming an OP_RETURN prexif, but for the sake of
thoroughness I'd like to ask for your help or confirmation here.

Should we actually be using the BIP process to claim a prefix?

Thanks in advance,

Lautaro