[bitcoin-dev] Suggestion for a universal bitcoin value scale

rhavar at protonmail.com rhavar at protonmail.com
Mon Aug 20 23:36:14 UTC 2018

I think you have correctly identified dealing with small amounts while working in the "bitcoin" denomination as a major pain point, and I will go as far as agreeing that a standard color coding would help people eyeball what 0.000011 BTC means if they were used to seeing the same color pallet.

However, I don't think it's a good solution. I strongly suspect very few services or wallets are going to be willing to adopt such a thing as it'll make their design look ridiculous and it's cumbersome to type.

Furthermore, my experience in using BIP76 (Bits Denomination) in several services with people of varying levels of familiarity to be entirely positive, and in my strong believe a vastly superior solution that should be advocated and used more.

And BTW i think what would help the readability of the "bitcoin" denomination more than colors if it was standard to always write it to 8 decimal places (e.g. 0.00001100 BTC) which I think is a bit more useful in allowing people to eyeball the size.

-Ryan