[bitcoin-dev] Testnet3 Reest

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Thu Aug 30 20:02:39 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:58:42PM +0530, shiva sitamraju via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Testnet is now 1411795 blocks and a full sync is taking atleast 48 hours.
>
> Is a testnet reset scheduled in the next release or any reason not to do a
> reset ?
>
> Fast onboarding/lower disk overheads would be  very much appreicated for
> testing purposes

Actually I'd advocate the opposite: I'd want testnet to be a *larger*
blockchain than mainnet to find size-related issues first.

Note that for testing regtest is often a better alternative, and you can setup
private regtest blockchains fairly easily and with good control over exactly
when and how blocks are created.