[bitcoin-dev] Getting around to fixing the timewarp attack.

Bram Cohen bram at chia.net
Thu Aug 30 20:55:17 UTC 2018

This seems like a case where a distinction should be made between soft
forks which are likely to cause non-upgraded miners to get orphaned and
ones where they are. Of course in this case it's only 1/2016 of all blocks
so it doesn't really matter, but it's worth thinking about the principle.
In general soft forks are better when they don't cause orphaning on
non-upgraded miners.

The whole problem seems to be caused by the difference between the
timestamps at the end of a period and the block right after it. Soft
forking to force those to be 'close enough' together sounds like a solid
approach. Given that blocks are generally send around fairly quickly, and
that blocks more than two hours in the future are ignored, it seems
reasonable to not allow a backwards jump of that plus some safety
parameter. Let's say three hours. It also feels like a good idea to not
allow a jump of more than three hours forwards either, just on principle.

That should result in minimal code changes, and rarely any orphaning of
non-upgraded miners at all, and still only 1/2016 blocks when they do. And
no trace of a hard fork. It suffers from still allowing the attack a little
bit, but three hours out of every two weeks seems like no big deal.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 5:10 AM Johnson Lau via bitcoin-dev <