[bitcoin-dev] CPFP Carve-Out for Fee-Prediction Issues in Contracting Applications (eg Lightning)

Bob McElrath bob at mcelrath.org
Sun Dec 2 15:08:39 UTC 2018

I've long thought about using SIGHASH_SINGLE, then either party can add inputs
to cover whatever fee they want on channel close and it doesn't have to be
pre-planned at setup.

For Lightning I think you'd want to cross-sign, e.g. Alice signs her input
and Bob's output, while Bob signs his input and Alice's output.  This would
demotivate the two parties from picking apart the transaction and broadcasting
one of the two SIGHASH_SINGLE's in a Lightning transaction.

--
Cheers, Bob McElrath

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."
    -- H. L. Mencken