[bitcoin-dev] Safer sighashes and more granular SIGHASH_NOINPUT

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Fri Dec 14 13:55:43 UTC 2018

I don’t think this has been mentioned: without signing the script or masked script, OP_CODESEPARATOR becomes unusable or insecure with NOINPUT.

In the new sighash proposal, we will sign the hash of the full script (or masked script), without any truncation. To make OP_CODESEPARATOR works like before, we will commit to the position of the last executed OP_CODESEPARATOR. If NOINPUT doesn’t commit to the masked script, it will just blindly committing to a random OP_CODESEPARATOR position, which a wallet couldn’t know what codes are actually being executed.