[bitcoin-dev] Safer NOINPUT with output tagging

Johnson Lau jl2012 at xbt.hk
Thu Dec 20 11:00:53 UTC 2018

> On 20 Dec 2018, at 6:09 AM, Christian Decker <decker.christian at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ruben Somsen via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org <mailto:bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>>
> writes:
>
>> Hi Johnson,
>>
>> The design considerations here seem similar to the ML discussion of
>> whether Graftroot should be optional [1].
>>
>>> While this seems fully compatible with eltoo, is there any other proposals require NOINPUT, and is adversely affected by either way of tagging?
>>
>> As far as I can tell it should be compatible with Statechains [2],
>> since it pretty much mirrors Eltoo in setup.
>>
>> My understanding is somewhat lacking, so perhaps I am missing the
>> mark, but it is not completely clear to me how this affects
>> fungibility if taproot gets added and the setup and trigger tx for
>> Eltoo get combined into a single transaction. Would the NOINPUT
>> spending condition be hidden inside the taproot commitment?
>
> I'm not aware of a way to combine the setup and trigger transaction. The
> trigger transaction was introduced in order to delay the start of the
> timeouts until a later time, to avoid having an absolute lifetime limit
> and having really huge timeout. If we were to combine the trigger
> transaction with the setup transaction (which is broadcast during
> channel creation), all of those timeouts would start counting down
> immediately, and we could just skip the trigger transaction
> altogether. It'd be more interesting to combine update and trigger
> transactions in a sort of cut-through combination, but that doesn't seem
> possible outside of Mimblewimble.
>
> Cheers,
> Christian

Correct me if I’m wrong.

For the sake of simplicity, in the following I assume BIP118, 143, and 141-P2WSH are used (i.e. no taproot). Also, I skipped all the possible optimisations.

1. A and B are going to setup a channel.

2. They create one setup tx, with a setup output of the following script: <s> CLTV DROP 2 Au Bu 2 CHECKMULTISIG. Do not sign

3. They create the update tx 0, spending the setup output with NOINPUT and locktime = s+1, to the update-0 output with the script:
IF 2 As0 Bs0 2 CHECKMULTISIG ELSE <s+1> CLTV DROP 2 Au Bu 2 CHECKMULTISIG ENDIF

4. They create the settlement tx 0, spending the update-0 output with As0 and Bs0 using BIP68 relative-locktime, with 2 settlement outputs

5. They sign the setup tx and let it confirm

6. To update, they create the update tx 1, spending the setup output with NOINPUT and locktime = s+2, to the update-1 output with the script:
IF 2 As1 Bs1 2 CHECKMULTISIG ELSE <s+2> CLTV DROP 2 Au Bu 2 CHECKMULTISIG ENDIF
and create the settlement tx 1, spending the update-1 output with As1 and Bs1 using relative-locktime, with 2 settlement outputs

7. To close the channel, broadcast update tx 1. Wait for several confirmations. And broadcast settlement-tx-1