[bitcoin-dev] BIP39 seeds

Jameson Lopp jameson.lopp at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 21:08:13 UTC 2018

I believe it would depend upon the entropy used for the seed, as that would
affect how many bits the checksum represents.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039.mediawiki#Generating_the_mnemonic

So for a 24 word / 256 bit mnemonic the checksum is 8 bits, thus there are
8 valid checksums and if you picked a random checksum from the wordlist of
2048 words you'd have a 1 in 256 chance of picking a valid one.

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Aymeric Vitte via bitcoin-dev <