[bitcoin-dev] BIP39 seeds

James MacWhyte macwhyte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:54:25 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:33 AM Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric at gmail.com>
wrote:

> so, even with a tool like yours, they can be misleaded, for example trying
> a few words to replace the missing/incorrect one, get a valid seed and stay
> stuck with it forever trying to play with BIP44/49 to find their keys

Just a small detail, but my tool actually looks up all the possible
combinations and then finds which one has been used before by looking for
past transactions on the blockchain. Therefore, it won't tell you your
phrase is correct unless it is a phrase that has actually been used before
(preventing what you described).

Using some algorithm to take some input and generate a bip39 phrase that
you can use with any bip39 wallet sounds perfectly reasonable.