[bitcoin-dev] BIP39 seeds

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 11:04:18 UTC 2018

Le 26/12/2018 à 19:54, James MacWhyte a écrit :

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 11:33 AM Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric at gmail.com
> <mailto:vitteaymeric at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     so, even with a tool like yours, they can be misleaded, for
>     example trying a few words to replace the missing/incorrect one,
>     get a valid seed and stay stuck with it forever trying to play
>     with BIP44/49 to find their keys
>

> Just a small detail, but my tool actually looks up all the possible
> combinations and then finds which one has been used before by looking
> for past transactions on the blockchain. Therefore, it won't tell you
> your phrase is correct unless it is a phrase that has actually been
> used before (preventing what you described).

I saw that your tool was querying blockchain.info, but it cannot guess
what derivation path was used and if it is a standard one what addresses
were used, and even if successful it works only for bitcoin (so maybe it
should just output the ~1500 possible phrases and/or xprv, and be
completely offline, this is still doable for people)

> Using some algorithm to take some input and generate a bip39 phrase
> that you can use with any bip39 wallet sounds perfectly reasonable.

I forgot to mention that this can help also solving the "what if
something happens to me" case giving to the family the seed and the
parameter(s) for the derivation path, or an easy way to find it (better
than something like: remind this passphrase, take the sha256 of it, then
use some other stuff to find the encryption algo, take n bytes of the
hash, use it to decode my wallet or my seed... and then everybody
looking at you like crazy)