[bitcoin-dev] Create a BIP to implement Confidential Transactions in Bitcoin Core

Kenshiro [] tensiam at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 29 11:56:08 UTC 2018

I understand, thank you! :)

From: SomberNight <somber.night at protonmail.com>
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 22:41
To: bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org; tensiam at hotmail.com
Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Create a BIP to implement Confidential Transactions in Bitcoin Core

Hi Kenshiro,

That is not how the BIP process works. Instead of requesting the creation
of a BIP, you just create one. :)

Re CT in Bitcoin, I have my doubts whether you can get consensus for that.
>From section 4.6 of the Bulletproofs paper [0]:

"Bulletproofs ... are computationally binding. An adversary that could
break the discrete logarithm assumption could generate acceptable range
proofs for a value outside the correct range. ... An adversary that can
break the binding property of the commitment scheme or the soundness of
the proof system can generate coins out of thin air and thus create
uncontrolled but undetectable inflation rendering the currency useless"

I don't have the domain knowledge to debate whether quantum computers will
ever exist but AFAICT their emergence would easily kill a currency that
uses these kind of range proofs for confidential transactions.

[0]: https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/1066.pdf