[bitcoin-dev] [BIP] Stratum protocol specification

Jules Lamur jules.lamur at etu.umontpellier.fr
Fri Feb 9 13:48:39 UTC 2018

Hello,

With two student colleagues of mine (Denis HODZHADZHIKOV,
Kim-Son PHAM), we are developping a mining pool as an
academic work.

Currently, most of our work is reverse engineering on existing
implementations of the protocol because of the lack of
documentation, especially on edge cases.

Our referent professor suggested us to publish a IETF RFC draft
of the protocol's specification. However, I think a BIP would be
more appropriate for this.

I've found that the BIP 40 and the BIP 41 were allocated for
respectively the wire protocol and the mining protocol since
at least August 2013 (cf.
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/commit/e12d37e6639a4acffa2710ddb6cf81e74403b2a1).

It seems that nothing has been done since.

Could we (me and my colleagues) start writing a draft for the
BIP 41 (mining protocol)?

Regards,
Jules LAMUR.