[bitcoin-dev] Total fees have almost crossed the block reward

rhavar at protonmail.com rhavar at protonmail.com
Mon Feb 12 17:47:50 UTC 2018

> This lead me to ponder whether the intuitive metric of satoshi/byte is, in fact, game
>theory optimal.  Possibly over the short term it is, but over a longer period, those
> wishing to increase the longevity of proof of work in general might wish to consider
> more progressive fee approaches.

The constraining factor for blocks is the max-block weight. So miners are already optimizing for the right thing (creating a block that gives the most immediate reward). If miners want to start a cartel-like behavior of charging more for more value-transfer it would be incredibly harmful and even likely promote centralization (the cartel would likely not look kindly on any miner who doesn't follow their rules, and perhaps start orphaning their blocks).

Now I guess in theory you could add consensus rules that apply restrictions on the amount of "value transfer" in a block, such that miners are motivated to charge more for high-value transactions. However there's going to be almost 0 appetite from anyone to want to do anything like this, and the amount of unintended and harmful side effects would be profound.  (Personally, I'd lose any interest in bitcoin if such a change was ever instated)

​-Ryan

​