[bitcoin-dev] Transition to post-quantum

Tristan Hoy tristan.hoy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:06:31 UTC 2018

On 13/02/2018 5:46 PM, Tim Ruffing via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 08:32 +1100, Tristan Hoy wrote:
>> In a post-quantum world, your second "d" type transaction is
>> completely forgeable, which means it is vulnerable to front-running.
>> An adversary capable of breaking ECDSA needs only listen for these
>> transactions, obtain "classic_sk" and then use a higher fee (or
>> relationship with a miner) to effectively turn your original "d"
>> transaction into a double-spend, with the forged transaction sending
>> all your funds to the adversary.
> That's not true. The d(ecommit) transaction, or better let's call it
> "decommit step" of a two-step transaction does not specify the effects
> (output script). This is what I denote by "tx" in the writeup, and it's
> already fixed by the c(ommit) step.
>
> So yes, if the user finally reveals
>    d  = classic_pk||Sign(classic_sk, tx)
> a quantum attacker can indeed forge
>    d' = classic_pk||Sign(classic_sk, tx')
> for tx' != tx of his choice. But that won't help him, because the first
> valid c step in the chain is for tx and not for tx'.
Thank you for clarifying, I should have caught that.

>> The other issue with your approach is that if it is rolled out today,
>> it will effectively double transaction volumes - this is what I tried
>> to solve in solutions 2 and 3 in my article by instead modifying the
>> address generation process.
> Yep, it needs two entries in the blockchain, and that does not mean
> that it doubles the data. It will need some more bytes in the
> blockchain but also proper PQ-transactions could need more bytes in the
> blockchain, so I don't think that's the major issue.

The worst-case outcome is that ECDSA is broken before PQ addresses are
rolled out. There is no reactive response to this - all the existing
ECDSA addresses will be compromised. A proactive measure is required,
and it should be deployed sooner rather than later.

Any two-step approach adopted now as a proactive measure will not only
bloat the blockchain, it will also double the effective confirmation
time - for all transactions between now and when PQ addresses are rolled
out, which seems unlikely to happen in the next 5 years. The bloat will
be permanent.

Either way, would you mind if I included your approach in the article,
with credit? I will seek your review before publishing.