[bitcoin-dev] NIST 8202 Blockchain Technology Overview

CANNON cannon at cannon-ciota.info
Sun Feb 18 16:20:13 UTC 2018

Pardon my unproffesional tone in my original comment.
But thank you for passing on these corrections. This looks much better.
I have a few comments that might lend to making this even more accurate or complete.
It is nice to see Bitcoin Cash use the proper ticket "BCH" and with
clarrification that segregated witness  was a softfork (backwards compatible
and optional to unupgraded nodes) instead of a hardfork. While segwit might
seem to compact more transactions to unupgraded nodes still using the 1 MB
blocksize limit (because signature data is stored outside of this legacy 1MB
limit), segwit is not actually more compact, but rather is a conservative blocksize
increase as a result of the new block space made available through segwit upgrade.

(One question I do have, which I am going to ask on the bitcoin-dev mailing list, is
"Is the increased blockspace made available through SegWit limited to just witness data?")

Segwit is not just about increased blockspace or transaction capactity though, but
also has more advantages as a result of seperating the signature into a different
segment. More information can be found here https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/

One advantage is with segwit seperating the signature data, advanced smart contracts and functions
on top of bitcoin can be used. This is due to transaction IDs being able to be calculated without
signatures, or before being signed.

Segwit also increases signature security, and if I am correct enables signatures algorithms to be
able to be upgraded via a softfork.

Segwit also enables Lightning Network. Lightning Network upgrade to Bitcoin enables instant and really
cheap transactions which can handle micropayments and massive scaling of throughput of transactions per second.

With micropayment networks such as Lightning Network, payments can be made off-chain, while still being enforced
by and settled on the Bitcoin blockchain. The Bitcoin blockchain would act as a settlement or dispute layer. As
a result this would also result in freed up space on the bitcoin blockchain as well.

The political reasons which differ from the "bitcoin cash" crowd, and the "bitcoin" crowd is the long term vision
of how to scale Bitcoin. The majority of the "bitcoin cash" crowd believes that scaling should be done by
simply raising the blocksize.

The majority of the "bitcoin" crowd, believes that increasing the blocksize to accomodate for all transactions like
what "bitcoin cash" is doing, would lead to dangerous centralization of whom would able to operate a Bitcoin node.
This is due to the factors of both storage, and bandwidth which are needed to sync and store the blockchain by nodes.

https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf
Paper:
The Bitcoin Lightning Network:
Scalable Off-Chain Instant Payments
DRAFT Version 0.5.9.2
page 2-3 outlines a good description of why increasing the blocksize to accomodate every global transaction as a scaling
solution is not feasible.

In summary,
So while the majority of the bitcoin crowd see micropayment channels and micropayment networks on higher layers as the
next step in scaling for handling majority of transactions, the "bitcoin cash" supporters prefer to simply increase the
blocksize to handle all these transactions.

I plan on reading the rest of this paper to see if I have any other things to add.

Cannon
PGP Fingerprint: 2BB5 15CD 66E7 4E28 45DC 6494 A5A2 2879 3F06 E832
Email: cannon at cannon-ciota.info
NOTICE: ALL EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE NOT SIGNED/ENCRYPTED WITH PGP SHOULD BE CONSIDERED POTENTIALLY FORGED, AND NOT PRIVATE.