[bitcoin-dev] Bech32 and P2SH²

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Jan 4 14:23:05 UTC 2018

I know I'm super-late to bring this up, but was there a reason Bech32 omitted
the previously-discussed P2SH² improvements? Since deployment isn't too
widespread yet, maybe it'd be worth a quick revision to add this?

For those unfamiliar with the concept, the idea is to have the address include
the *single* SHA256 hash of the public key or script, rather than
RIPEMD160(SHA256(pubkey)) or SHA256(SHA256(script)). The sender would then
perform the second hash to produce the output. Doing this would in the future
enable relaying the "middle-hash" as a way to prove the final hash is in fact
a hash itself, thereby proving it is not embedded data spam.

Bech32 seems like a huge missed opportunity to add this, since everyone will
probably be upgrading to it at some point.

Luke