[bitcoin-dev] BIP 39: Add language identifier strings for wordlists

nullius nullius at nym.zone
Fri Jan 5 13:58:37 UTC 2018

I propose and request as an enhancement that the BIP 39 wordlist set
should specify canonical native language strings to identify each
wordlist, as well as short ASCII language codes.  At present, the
languages are identified only by their names in English.

Strings properly vetted and recommended by native speakers should
facilitate language identification in user interface options or menus.
Specification of language identifier strings would also promote
interface consistency between implementations; this may be important if
a user creates a mnemonic in Implementation A, then restores a wallet
using that mnemonic in Implementation B.

As an independent implementer who does not know *all* these different
languages, I monkey-pasted language-native strings from a popular wiki
site.  I cannot guarantee that they be all accurate, sensible, or even
non-embarrassing.

https://github.com/nym-zone/easyseed/blob/1a6e48bbdac9366d9d5d1912dc062dfc3f0db2c6/easyseed.c#L99
```
	LANG(english,			u8"English",	"en",	ascii_space ),
	LANG(chinese_simplified,	u8"汉语",	"zh-CN",ascii_space ),
	LANG(chinese_traditional,	u8"漢語",	"zh-TW",ascii_space ),
	LANG(french,			u8"Français",	"fr",	ascii_space ),
	LANG(italian,			u8"Italiano",	"it",	ascii_space ),
	LANG(japanese,			u8"日本語",	"ja",	u8"\u3000"  ),
	LANG(korean,			u8"한국어",	"ko",	ascii_space ),
	LANG(spanish,			u8"Español",	"es",	ascii_space )
```

Per the comment at #L85 of the quoted file, I also know that for my
short identifiers for Chinese, “zh-CN” and “zh-TW”, are imprecise at
best—insofar as Hong Kong uses Traditional; and overseas Chinese may use
either.  For differentiating the two Chinese writing variants, are there
any appropriate standardized or customary short ASCII language IDs
similar to ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 which are purely linguistic, and not fit
to present-day political boundaries?

My general suggestion is that the specification of appropriate strings
in bitcoin:bips/bip-0039/bip-0039-wordlists.md be made part of the
process for accepting new wordlists.  My specific request is that such
strings be ascertained for the wordlists already existing, preferably
from the persons involved in the original pull requests therefor.

Should this proposal be “concept ACKed” by appropriate parties, then I
may open a pull request suggesting an appropriate format for specifying
this information in the repository.  However, I will must needs leave
the vetting of appropriate strings to native speakers or experts in the
respective languages.

Prior references:  The wordlist additions at PRs #92, #130 (Japanese);
#100 (Spanish); #114 (Chinese, both variants); #152 (French); #306
(Italian); #570 (Korean); #621 (Indonesian, *proposed*, open).