[bitcoin-dev] Proposal to reduce mining power bill

nullius nullius at nym.zone
Tue Jan 16 00:10:38 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-15 at 22:47:54 +0000, Enrique Arizón Benito
<enrique.arizonbenito at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>just new to the list and curious to know if next proposal (or similar)
>for reducing mining-power consumption has already been discussed.
>
>The objective is to reduce the power consumption required while keeping
>the network safe and the miners "motivated" and cooperative to continue
>mining:
>
>The global idea is to introduce the concept of "next-coinbase" for
>miners. This will work something like as follow:
>
>- Any miner submitting a block will submit the "next-coinbase" for any
>new block mined by itself. (This address can be the same one or
>different from the just mined block). The miner keeps the private key
>associated with the "next-coinbase" secret.
>
>- The consensus algorithm will add next checks:
> A hash from, for example, the just mined block and the previous one,
>will have to match up to N bits for the next "next-coinbase" from the
>next block to be valid.
>
> That means that for the next block only 1/2^N bitcoin addresses will
>be accepted from the previously submitted "next-coinbase" list.
>
>Since the last previous block hash can be considered random, miners
>know in advance whether they will be able to participate or not in the
>next block depending on the just submited "next-coinbase". And since
>the "punishment" is distributed uniformely random to all miners no one
>has any advantage over the other. But the global miner netwok will
>consume much less power.
>
>A detail rest: New miners are not allowed in such scheme so next
>addition is needed:
>
>- A miner with no previous "next-coinbase" will need to first mine an
>special block, "new-miner-block", that instead of normal transactions
>will register the new miner and submit a "next-coinbase". This special
>block will not be rewarded with new bitcoins. The only reward will be
>the permission to mine in following blocks. No reward is applied so
>only new miners wanting to "enter" the mining network are expected to
>create such block.

Observation:  This totally destroys Bitcoin’s transaction-ordering
security.  A “51% attack” could be executed by any miner who has >50% of
the hashpower *proportionate to miners who are allowed to mine a
particular block*, rather than >50% of *global* hashpower.  (I infer
that this could be done retroactively, and wave my hands over some of
the details since you did not talk about reorgs.)  The same applies as
for attacks requiring 33% or 25% of total hashpower.

Potential attack, assuming that N *must* be based partly or wholly on
the existing set of “next-coinbase” addresses:  A large miner could
gradually push N higher, by progressively committing new “next-coinbase”
addresses which differ in the next bit for all previously seen
combinations of bits.  Large miners would have a vast advantage over
small miners, insofar as deliberately incrementing N by one more bit
could only be done by a miner who creates 2^(N+1) blocks (= 2 * 2^N).
By such means, it may be possible for a very large miner to eventually
lock out all other miners altogether, and monopolize all Bitcoin mining.

Now, questions:

How is N determined?  By a wave of the hands?

What part of which block hash is matched against N bits?  You were quite
unclear about this, and other important details.  (Much of what I say
here is based on assumptions and inferences necessary to fill in the
blanks.)

How, exactly, are reorgs handled?

How does this interact with the difficulty adjustment algorithm?
Indeed, how is difficulty determined at all under your scheme?

What happens to coinbase fees from a “new-miner-block”?  The way I read
your scheme, the “new-miner-block” must necessarily have no payout
whatsoever.  But you discuss only “new bitcoins”, which are a
diminishing portion of the block reward, and will eventually reach zero.
Coinbase from fees must go somewhere; but under your scheme, a “new
miner” has no payable address.

What if no existing “next-coinbase” address matches?  Is N constrained
to be sufficiently short that a match is guaranteed from the existing
set, then that makes it trivial for large mining farms to collect
addresses and further dominate (or even monopolize) the network in the
attack described above.  If it isn’t, then the network could suddenly
halt when nobody is allowed to mine the next block; and that would
enable *this* attack:

What stops a malicious miner (including a “new miner” creating a
“new-miner block”) from deliberately working to create a block with a
hash which does not have N bits matching any of the existing
“next-coinbase” addresses?  Contra what you say, block hashes can’t be
“considered random”.  Indeed, partial preimage bruteforcing of block
hashes is the entire basis of mining POW.

Asking here more generally than as for the attack described above, what
stops mining farms with large hashpower from submitting many different
“next-coinbase” addresses in many different blocks?  If N be small, then
it should be feasible for a large mining farm to eventually register a
set of “next-coinbase” addresses which match any N.  **This increases
mining centralization.**  If N be large, then this creates the
possibility (or raises the probability) that no address will match, and
nobody will be allowed to mine the next block.

How could miner anonymity be preserved under a scheme whereby each
“next-coinbase” address can be linked to a previous “next-coinbase”
address?  The only way to start fresh would be with a prohibitively
expensive no-payout block.  Mining can be totally anonymous at present,
and must so remain.  Miners are only identified by certain information
they choose to put in a block header, which they could choose to change
or omit—or by IP address, which is trivially changed and is never a
reliable identifier.

How does this even save electricity, when there is much mining equipment
(especially on large mining farms) which cannot be easily shut down and
restarted?  (Allegedly, this is one reason why some big miners
occasionally mine empty blocks.)  Though I suppose that difficulty would
drop by unspecified means.

Further observations:

This scheme drastically increases the upfront investment required for a
new miner to start mining.  To mine even one new block all by oneself,
without a pool, already requires a huge investment.  Add to that the
uncompensated energy cost of mining that first block with *no* payout,
and I expect that the bar would be prohibitive to almost all new
entrants.  Mining costs and incentives are delicately balanced by the
design of the network.  Whereas incumbents are much favoured by your
scheme, further increasing miner centralization.  Large incumbents could
also use this to produce a mining permissions market, by selling the
private keys to committed “next-coinbase” addresses.

I have not even tried to imagine what oddball attacks might be possible
for any miner with sufficient hashpower to deliberately cause a small
reorg.

--
nullius at nym.zone | PGP ECC: 0xC2E91CD74A4C57A105F6C21B5A00591B2F307E0C
Bitcoin: bc1qcash96s5jqppzsp8hy8swkggf7f6agex98an7h | (Segwit nested: