[bitcoin-dev] Suggestion to remove word from BIP39 English wordlist

Jonathan Sterling jon at thancodes.com
Thu Jan 18 06:55:28 UTC 2018

All the more reason to only use the most common words that meet the other
criteria:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039.mediawiki#Wordlist

I agree - keeping "satoshi" in there is an unnecessary security risk.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Sterling

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 8:14 AM, CryptAxe via bitcoin-dev <

> Why wouldn't they just test the frequency of words from the wordlist in
> entirety?
>
> On Jan 17, 2018 5:10 PM, "Weiwu Zhang via bitcoin-dev" <bitcoin-dev at lists.
> linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

>> <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>:
>> > After reviewing some bitcoin improvement proposals, I noticed that one
>> of the words that can be found on the BIP39 English wordlist is “satoshi”.
>> > I suggest removing this word from the list so it’s less obvious that
>> it’s a bitcoin seed when found by a malicious third party.
>>
>> If a malicious third party discovers a word list that look like a
>> seed, they would try using it as Bitcoin seed first anyway, with or
>> without finding the word 'satoshi' in it. The security threat is that
>> a malicious third party may index what they found and test every
>> occurrence of 'satoshi' for a lead to a seed.
>>
>> For example, a hard-disk recycling service would add this word to
>> their salvage tools. Any successfully hacked gmail account will be
>> 'satoshi' tested too.
>>
>> So I see this as a reasonable improvement:)

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Sterling
+44 (0)7415 512691