[bitcoin-dev] Transaction Merging (bip125 relaxation)

Rhavar rhavar at protonmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:59:34 UTC 2018

> Perhaps they could even replace old tx with economically equivalent summary transactions?

I imagine with schnorr signatures, the incentives will emerge for that to make sense. But right now if I want to merge my transaction with an untrusted party in general we're only really going to be saving like 12 bytes of overhead or something. But if I'm merging my own transactions, I can get that fixed overhead, strip extraneous inputs and merge my change outputs (which also means in the future it's cheaper to spend).

Although it's obviously a lot worse for privacy, I do like the pattern of broadcast the transaction standalone and then merge it for savings. It helps keep the more or less fire-and-forget style, without a ridiculous amount of complexity "if this happens, do this, if this, then this, ..."

-Ryan

-Ryan