[bitcoin-dev] Transaction Merging (bip125 relaxation)

Rhavar rhavar at protonmail.com
Tue Jan 23 16:31:36 UTC 2018

Getting back on topic:

> It would definitely introduce DoS vectors by making it much cheaper to use
> relay bandwidth.

I think I'm missing something, as I don't really understand this DoS vector. Relay bandwidth is already very cheap and easy to use by repeatedly fee bumping. And it's not obvious to me that requiring an absolute higher fee actually makes such an attack more expensive.

I can see that my "proposed" change would make it cheaper to evict low-fee transactions from other node's mempool. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't really see why this would be such a big deal.

But what about a compromise, and require that the absolute fee must be >= half the original fees. I know everyone hates magic values, but I think in practice it will allow legitimate and useful use of "retroactive transaction merging" without much downside.

And really the great thing about "retroactive transaction merging" is just how easy it is to implement. In fact, right now it's quite possible to do -- but because of the "higher absolute fee" rule the benefits are pretty muted (although if you can compress 2 change into 1, that's still likely worthwhile)

-Ryan