[bitcoin-dev] Recovery of old UTXOs in a post-quantum world

Tim Ruffing tim.ruffing at mmci.uni-saarland.de
Fri Jan 26 13:14:14 UTC 2018

(changing the subject... ;))

My proposal does not include any form of expiration, so I don't see how
it should be vulnerable to the described attack.

To make this a little bit more detailed:

The user has one or more single standard UTXOs all with ECDSA public
key classic_pk and thus address SHA256(RIPEMD160((classic_pk)). The
corresponding secret key is classic_sk. Let MAC be a quantum-secure
message-authentication code, e.g., MAC(k,x)=H(k||x) for a suitable hash
function, e.g, BLAKE2 or SHA3.

The idea is to (ab)use the public key classic_pk as a key for the MAC.

To spend an UTXO with a transaction tx, the user does the following:
   1. Create and publish a "transaction" c that references the address
      SHA256(RIPEMD160((classic_pk)) and contains the following data:
      MAC(classic_pk,tx))||tx
   2. Wait until c is confirmed. (If it does not confirm, send it again as
      usual).
   3. Create and publish a "transaction" d with the following data:
      classic_pk||Sign(classic_sk, tx)

Consensus rules:
A transaction d=classic_pk||sig spends all UTXOs with
address SHA256(RIPEMD160(classic_pk)), applying the effects of tx, if
there exists a transaction c=mac||tx in the blockchain such that
   1. c is the first transaction (among all referencing the address) in
      the blockchain where mac is a valid MAC for message tx under correct
      key classic_pk
   2. sig is valid ECDSA signature over tx under public key classic_pk

c-transactions never expire.

If the user has not published classic_pk before, this should be secure
against quantum attackers:
Before step 2, the MAC key k=classic_pk is only known to the user. So
the only valid c that the attacker can produce has the real transaction
tx, because a different transaction tx' requires the attacker to forge
the MAC. Since the user waits for confirmation, the first c in the
blockchain fulfilling conditions 1 and 2 has been created by the user.

Even if classic_pk is known, this is no less secure than "classic
spending", because we require an ECDSA signature on tx.

I'm pretty confident that I'm not overlooking an obvious attack. If I'm
wrong then please describe exactly the steps of the user and the
attacker.

Best,
Tim