[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 02:52:48 UTC 2018

Hi y'all,

I've made a PR to the BIP repo to modify BIP 158 based on this thread, and
other recent threads giving feedback on the current version of the BIP:

  * https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/687

I've also updated the test vectors based on the current parameters (and
filter format), and also the code used to generate the test vectors. Due to
the change in parametrization, the test vectors now target (P=19 M=784931),
and there're no longer any cases related to extended filters.

One notable thing that I left off is the proposed change to use the previous
output script rather than the outpoint. Modifying the filters in this
fashion would be a downgrade in the security model for light clients, as it
would allow full nodes to lie by omission, just as they can with BIP 37. As
is now, if nodes present conflicting information, then the light client can
download the target block, fully reconstruct the filter itself, then ban any
nodes which advertised the incorrect filter. The inclusion of the filter
header checkpoints make it rather straight forward for light clients to
bisect the state to find the conflicting advertisement, and it's strongly
recommended that they do so.

To get a feel for the level of impact these changes would have on existing
applications that depend on the txid being included in the filter, I've
implemented these changes across btcutil, btcd, btcwallet, and lnd (which
previously relied on the txid for confirmation notifications). For lnd at
least, the code impact was rather minimal, as we use the pkScript for
matching a block, but then still scan the block manually to find the precise
transaction (by txid) that we were interested in (if it's there).

-- Laolu