[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Tamas Blummer tamas.blummer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:02:11 UTC 2018

Without block commitment mobiles would have to use trusted filter provider or implement a complex data hungry algorithm and still remain as insecure as with BIP 37.

Years of experience implementing wallets with BIP 37 taught us that an outpoint + output script filter is useful. Committing such a filter to the block can not be an error.

We could roll this out on P2P prior to a soft fork adding the commitment, but I would not expect its use to pick up before that.
Therafter BIP 37 could be rightfully decommissioned, herby offering both security and privacy enhancement at modest data cost.

Tamas Blummer