[bitcoin-dev] BIP proposal - Dandelion: Privacy Preserving Transaction Propagation

Bradley Denby bdenby at cmu.edu
Mon Jun 4 20:29:50 UTC 2018

Hello all,

We now have an arXiv preprint of our latest findings available, which
provides additional details regarding Dandelion:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1805.11060.pdf

Note that Dandelion's precision guarantees are at the population level,
while the recall guarantees can be interpreted as individual guarantees.
Expected recall is equivalent to the probability of an adversary
associating a single transaction with a given source.

Since these guarantees are probabilistic, a node cannot be sure whether all
of its peers are monitoring it. Dandelion does not protect against these
adversaries, and individuals who are worried about targeted deanonymization
should still use Tor.

One way to conceptualize Dandelion is as a "public health" fix or an
"anonymity vaccination." Higher adoption leads to greater benefits, even
for those who are not using Tor. Individuals who adopt Dandelion benefit
because their transactions make at least one hop before diffusing (or more
as adoption increases).

Nevertheless, the probabilistic nature of the guarantees means that they
are not absolute. We have shown that any solution based only on routing
cannot be absolute due to fundamental lower bounds on precision and recall.

Thank you to Eric Voskuil, Pieter Wuille, Suhas Daftuar, Christian Decker,
and Tim Ruffing for the recent feedback!