[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 05:03:04 UTC 2018

Hi sipa,

> The advantage of (a) is that it can be verified against a full block
without
> access to the outputs being spent by it
>
> The advantage of (b) is that it is more compact (scriot reuse, and outputs
> spent within the same block as they are created).

Thanks for this breakdown. I think you've accurately summarized the sole
remaining discussing point in this thread.

As someone who's written and reviews code integrating the proposal all the
way up the stack (from node to wallet, to application), IMO, there's no
immediate cost to deferring the inclusion/creation of a filter that includes
prev scripts (b) instead of the outpoint as the "regular" filter does now.
Switching to prev script in the _short term_ would be costly for the set of
applications already deployed (or deployed in a minimal or flag flip gated
fashion) as the move from prev script to outpoint is a cascading one that
impacts wallet operation, rescans, HD seed imports, etc.

Maintaining the outpoint also allows us to rely on a "single honest peer"
security model in the short term. In the long term the main barrier to
committing the filters isn't choosing what to place in the filters (as once
you have the gcs code, adding/removing elements is a minor change), but the
actual proposal to add new consensus enforced commitments to Bitcoin in the
first place. Such a proposal would need to be generalized enough to allow
several components to be committed, likely have versioning, and also provide
the necessary extensibility to allow additional items to be committed in the
future. To my knowledge no such soft-fork has yet been proposed in a serious
manner, although we have years of brainstorming on the topic. The timeline
of the drafting, design, review, and deployment of such a change would
likely be measures in years, compared to the immediate deployment of the
current p2p filter model proposed in the BIP.

As a result, I see no reason to delay the p2p filter deployment (with the
outpoint) in the short term, as the long lead time a soft-fork to add
extensible commitments to Bitcoin would give application+wallet authors
ample time to switch to the new model. Also there's no reason that full-node
wallets which wish to primarily use the filters for rescan purposes can't
just construct them locally for this particular use case independent of
what's currently deployed on the p2p network.

Finally, I've addressed the remaining comments on my PR modifying the BIP
from my last message.

-- Laolu

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018 at 11:12 PM Pieter Wuille via bitcoin-dev <