[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 23:58:50 UTC 2018

> An example of that cost is you arguing against specifying and supporting
the
> design that is closer to one that would be softforked, which increases the
> time until we can make these filters secure because it
> slows convergence on the design of what would get committed

Agreed, since the commitment is just flat out better, and also also less
code to validate compared to the cross p2p validation, the filter should be
as close to the committed version. This way, wallet and other apps don't
need to modify their logic in X months when the commitment is rolled out.

> Great point, but it should probably exclude coinbase OP_RETURN output.
> This would exclude the current BIP141 style commitment and likely any
> other.

Definitely. I chatted offline with sipa recently, and he suggested this as
well. Upside is that the filters will get even smaller, and also the first
filter type becomes even more of a "barebones" wallet filter. If folks
reaally want to also search OP_RETURN in the filter (as no widely deployed
applications I know of really use it), then an additional filter type can be
added in the future. It would need to be special cased to filter out the
commitment itself.

Alright, color me convinced! I'll further edit my open BIP 158 PR to:

  * exclude all OP_RETURN
  * switch to prev scripts instead of outpoints
  * update the test vectors to include the prev scripts from blocks in
    addition to the block itself

-- Laolu