[bitcoin-dev] Soft-forks and schnorr signature aggregation

ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:28:00 UTC 2018

Good morning aj,

​Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.​

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On March 21, 2018 7:21 PM, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 03:53:59AM -0400, ZmnSCPxj wrote:
>
> > Good morning aj,
>
> Good evening Zeeman!
>
> [pulled from the bottom of your mail]
>
> > This way, rather than gathering signatures, we gather public keys for aggregate signature checking.
>
> Sorry, I probably didn't explain it well (or at all): during the script,
>
> you're collecting public keys and messages (ie, BIP 143 style digests)
>
> which then go into the signing/verification algorithm to produce/check
>
> the signature.

Yes, I think this is indeed what OP_CHECK_AGG_SIG really does.

What I propose is that we have two places where we aggregate public keys: one at the script level, and one at the transaction level.  OP_ADD_AGG_PUBKEY adds to the script-level aggregate, then OP_CHECK_AGG_SIG adds the script-level aggregate to the transaction-level aggregate.

Unfortunately it will not work since transaction-level aggregate (which is actually what gets checked) is different between pre-fork and post-fork nodes.

It looks like signature aggregation is difficult to reconcile with script...

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj