[bitcoin-dev] BIP sighash_noinput

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 23:47:23 UTC 2018

Super stoked to see that no_input has been resurrected!!! I actually
implemented a variant back in 2015 when Tadge first described the approach
me for both btcd [1], and bitcoind [2]. The version being proposed is
_slightly_ differ though, as the initial version I implemented still
committed
to the script being sent, while this new version just relies on
witness validity instead. This approach is even more flexible as the script
attached to the output being spent can change, without rendering the
spending
transaction invalid as long as the witness still ratifies a branch in the
output's predicate.

Given that this would introduce a _new_ sighash flag, perhaps we should also
attempt to bundle additional more flexible sighash flags concurrently as
well?
This would require a larger overhaul w.r.t to how sighash flags are
interpreted, so in this case, we may need to introduce a new CHECKSIG
operator
(lets call it CHECKSIG_X for now), which would consume an available noop
opcode. As a template for more fine grained sighashing control, I'll refer
jl2012's BIP-0YYY [3] (particularly the "New nHashType definitions"
section).
This was originally proposed in the context of his merklized script work as
it
more or less opened up a new opportunity to further modify script within the
context of merklized script executions.  The approach reads in the
sighash flags as a bit vector, and allows developers to express things like:
"don't sign the input value, nor the sequence, but sign the output of this
input, and ONLY the script of this output". This approach is _extremely_
powerful, and one would be able to express the equivalent of no_input by
setting the appropriate bits in the sighash.

Looking forward in hearing y'alls thoughts on this approach, thanks.

[1]: https://github.com/Roasbeef/btcd/commits/SIGHASH_NOINPUT
[2]: https://github.com/Roasbeef/bitcoin/commits/SIGHASH_NOINPUT
[3]:
https://github.com/jl2012/bips/blob/vault/bip-0YYY.mediawiki#new-nhashtype-definitions

-- Laolu

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM Christian Decker via bitcoin-dev <