[bitcoin-dev] Making OP_TRUE standard?

Luke Dashjr luke at dashjr.org
Thu May 10 02:27:41 UTC 2018

An OP_TRUE-only script with a low value seems like a good example of where the
weight doesn't reflect the true cost: it uses a UTXO forever, while only
costing a weight of 4.

I like Johnson's idea to have some template (perhaps OP_2-only, to preserve
expected behaviour of OP_TRUE-only) that when combined with a 0-value is
always valid only if spent in the same block.

I wonder if it would make sense to actually tie it to a transaction version
bit, such that when the bit is set, the transaction is serialised with +1 on
the output count and 00000000000000000181 is simply injected into the
transaction hashing... But for now, simply having a consensus rule that a bit
MUST be set for the expected behaviour, and the bit may ONLY be set when the
last output is exactly 00000000000000000181, would allow us to code the
transaction serialisation up later. (Maybe it should be the first output
instead of the last... Is there any legitimate reason one would have multiple
such dummy outputs?)

Luke