[bitcoin-dev] BIP 158 Flexibility and Filter Size

Riccardo Casatta riccardo.casatta at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:46:29 UTC 2018

Another parameter which heavily affects filter size is the false positive
rate which is empirically set
<https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0158.mediawiki#construction>
to 2^-20
The BIP recall some go code
<https://github.com/Roasbeef/bips/blob/83b83c78e189be898573e0bfe936dd0c9b99ecb9/gcs_light_client/gentestvectors.go>
for how the parameter has been selected which I can hardly understand and
run, it's totally my fault but if possible I would really like more details
on the process, like charts and explanations (for example, which is the
number of elements to search for which the filter has been optimized for?)

Instinctively I feel 2^-20 is super low and choosing a lot higher alpha
will shrink the total filter size by gigabytes at the cost of having to
wastefully download just some megabytes of blocks.

Riccardo Casatta - @RCasatta <https://twitter.com/RCasatta>